Council tax - application for a single person discount

You are entitled to a 25% single person discount if you live alone or are the only adult over 18 who lives in the property.

You are not classed as living alone if you have children over the age of 18 living with you.

Completing this form

Please do not use your browser's 'back' button whilst filling in this form.

If you wish to go back to a previous page please use the 'back' button towards the bottom of this form.

Please complete all of the mandatory questions * .

In order to maintain security, this form will time out after 15 minutes without any activity.

None of the information is retained if you do not submit the form. You will lose all the information if the form is not completed.

Address of property


Your details

Please give us the following details so we can contact you if we have a query about this form.



I live alone and wish to claim a single person discount.


If you are applying for single person discount from before the start of this financial year (1 April), please give full details of the reason why you did not apply earlier for this reduction.

Has somebody left the property?

Help for those on low incomes

If you are on benefit or low income (or you share your home with people who are) you may be entitled to a reduction in your bill. The reduction will depend on a number of things such as:

How much money you have coming in; how many people live with you; how much you have in savings or capital.

If you are under 60 and have £16,000 or more in capital or savings, then you will not be entitled to any council tax support.

Data protection fair processing notice

Argyll and Bute Council, or their agents, will hold information supplied in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, we will use the information you have supplied primarily for the collection and administration of tax.

The information may also be used for other legitimate purposes e.g. housing and council tax benefit administration or private landlord registration.

This information may also be shared with other councils, governmental and quasi-governmental bodies.

By completing and submitting this form you consent to the use of your personal data including, where appropriate, sensitive personal data.

You have a right to apply for a copy of the information we hold about you, and to have any inaccuracies corrected.

The set fee (where applicable) will be charged. Should you wish to exercise this right, your request must be made in writing to the Data Protection Officer, Argyll & Bute Council, Kilmory, Lochgilphead, PA31 8RT.