Council tax - homes under repair exemption

Please complete this form for a property that is either unoccupied and structurally unsound, or undergoing major structural works.

This exemption can only be applied if the work has started or is due to start and applies for a maximum of 12 months from the date of the last occupation.

Completing this form

Please do not use your browser's 'back' button whilst filling in this form.

If you wish to go back to a previous page please use the 'back' button towards the bottom of this form.

Please complete all of the mandatory questions * .

In order to maintain security, this form will time out after 15 minutes without any activity.

None of the information is retained if you do not submit the form. You will lose all the information if the form is not completed.

Exemption criteria

In terms of schedule 11 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992, and the Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Scotland Order 1997 (as amended), a dwelling house may be exempt from council tax if it is an unoccupied dwelling which is undergoing or has undergone (since the last occupation day) major repair work (or structural alteration) to render it habitable; in respect of which no more than 12 months have elapsed since the last occupation day; and in respect of which no more than 6 months have elapsed since the work in question was substantially completed.

Property on which you pay council tax


Your details

Please give us the following details so we can contact you if we have a query about this form.



Data protection fair processing notice

Argyll and Bute Council, or their agents, will hold information supplied in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, we will use the information you have supplied primarily for the collection and administration of tax.

The information may also be used for other legitimate purposes e.g. housing and council tax benefit administration or private landlord registration.

This information may also be shared with other councils, governmental and quasi-governmental bodies.

By completing and submitting this form you consent to the use of your personal data including, where appropriate, sensitive personal data.

You have a right to apply for a copy of the information we hold about you, and to have any inaccuracies corrected.

The set fee (where applicable) will be charged. Should you wish to exercise this right, your request must be made in writing to the Data Protection Officer, Argyll & Bute Council, Kilmory, Lochgilphead, PA31 8RT.